WHO Declares World Well being Emergency Over Ebola Outbreak
The World Health Organization (WHO) has determined that a recent Ebola virus outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda constitutes a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC). This declaration followed reports of more than 300 suspected cases and approximately 88 deaths.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made the determination after consultations with the affected countries.
“There are significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread associated with this event at the present time. In addition, there is limited understanding of the epidemiological links with known or suspected cases,” the director said in an official statement.
The outbreak does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency due to the nature of the virus’ spread, the organization noted. WHO advised against the closure of international borders and instead recommended coordinated international response measures, including enhanced surveillance, contact tracing, infection prevention and control, and cross-border screening.
As of May 16, reports indicated eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths primarily in Ituri Province in eastern DRC. Congo accounts for nearly all cases, with two reported in Uganda.
A laboratory-confirmed case was also noted in the capital city of Kinshasa, approximately 1,000 kilometers from the epicenter in Ituri, which was linked to travel from the affected area. Suspected cases have also appeared in North Kivu province.
A growing Ebola outbreak in Congo has now spread to Uganda, with at least 65 people dead and hundreds of suspected cases reported. Health experts warn the situation is especially dangerous because the strain involved has no approved vaccine or treatment. pic.twitter.com/hyVwc7NsZT
— CBS Evening News with Tony Dokoupil (@CBSEveningNews) May 15, 2026
The first suspected case involved a 59-year-old man who developed symptoms on April 24 and died on April 27 in Ituri. Health authorities learned of the outbreak via social media on May 5, by which time around 50 deaths had occurred. The outbreak was laboratory-confirmed on May 15.
Two cases in Uganda involved individuals who had traveled from DRC. One died in a hospital in Kampala. The high percentage of positive samples, spread to urban centers like Kampala, and clusters of deaths indicate potential for a larger outbreak with local and regional risks.
“This outbreak started in April. So far, we don’t know the index case. It means we don’t know how far is the magnitude of this outbreak,” Africa CDC Director-General Dr. Jean Kaseya told reporters on Saturday.
Laboratory tests have identified the Bundibugyo virus strain, one of the rarer Ebola variants, as the cause of the current outbreak. The strain has no known vaccines or proven therapeutic treatments.
This represents the third detection and the largest for this strain. DRC has experienced over 20 Ebola outbreaks overall throughout its history.
Ebola spreads through bodily fluids and causes severe, often fatal illness. Factors hindering response include violent conflict with militants in the region, population movements due to mining, and cross-border travel.
RELATED: Officials Identify Patient Zero In Deadly Hantavirus Outbreak
