#YesYouScan Prevent Osteoporosis
Thank you for visiting the HealthyWomen #YesYouScan Campaign! Did you know approximately
10 million Americans have osteoporosis, and around one out of every two women are likely to break a bone because of the disease in their lifetime?
Osteoporosis causes your bones to become brittle. Unfortunately, however, you can’t feel your bones getting weaker, and there are often no warning signs of osteoporosis. But you can
take steps to keep your bones strong and healthy — and you’re never too young to start.
No Bones About It – Get Your DXA Scan
A great first step is to get preventive bone screenings — known as dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, or DXA, scans — to help you change the path of this disease. DXA scans are a powerful tool for predicting fractures. And they are fast, easy, noninvasive and painless to perform.
Helping Americans Take Control of Their Health
It’s important that preventive bone screenings are accessible and affordable for all women. Bone density tests are extremely effective at predicting future risk of fractures, yet testing has declined since 2007, when cuts in Medicare Part B for scans done in a doctor’s office took effect. Better access to these scans could lead to earlier detection of low bone density and an osteoporosis diagnosis. Early diagnosis could spare millions from unnecessary fractures, pain, disability and even death.
There are many things you can do to help elevate the importance of bone health screenings for all women!
- Take the Pledge – #YesYouScan! By taking the pledge to get your DXA screening, you are one step closer to better bone health. If you have a loved one in your life who would also benefit, encourage them to take the pledge as well. The more you know about your bone health, the better prepared you’ll be to stay healthy and strong.
- Post on Social! We’ve prepared posts for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram that you can simply copy and paste to share on your social channels. You can even download our three images to use in the posts as well:
- Images for Download
- I’m pledging to get my DXA scan to better understand my risk of #osteoporosis. Share this post to encourage your loved ones to get a DXA scan too! #YesYouScan
- The bad news: Osteoporosis is often called the silent disease because you can’t feel your bones getting weaker. The good news: A DXA scan helps you assess your risk of this disease. #YesYouScan www.healthywomen.org/yesyouscan
- I’m pledging to take control of my health and prevent #osteoporosis, starting with a DXA scan. RT if you’re with me. #YesYouScan
- #DYK osteoporosis can lead to more hospitalizations and greater #healthcare costs than heart attack, stroke or breast cancer combined? Pledge to get a DXA scan and better understand your risk. www.healthywomen.org/yesyouscan
- I’m getting a DXA scan to better understand my risk of osteoporosis, a disease that impacts 54 million Americans. Ready to take control of your bone health? #YesYouScan! Add to your story if you’re with me.
- I have the power to understand my bone health and assess my risk for #osteoporosis. So can you! It starts with a DXA scan. #YesYouScan take control of your bone health. Learn how: www.healthywomen.org/yesyouscan
- Contact Your Congressperson — Our friends at the Bone Health and Osteoporosis Foundation have a wonderful way you can connect directly to your congressional representative on legislation that would increase access and affordability for DXA scans. Click here to get involved!