Police arrest Highland Park July 4 parade shooting suspect

0


A suspect in the mass shooting attack on an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Illinois, was arrested by police after an eight-hour search on Monday.

The Chicago Sun-times reported authorities took 22-year-old Robert “Bobby” E. Crimo III into custody after a brief vehicle pursuit that ended in north suburban Lake Forest on Monday night at around 6:50 p.m. CST. Authorities said Crimo was taken into custody “without incident” after the brief pursuit.

A photo of the arrest was shared on social media on Monday evening.

The arrest took place after a suspect opened fire at an Independence Day parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park at around 10:14 a.m. CST, killing at least six people. Investigators believe the gunman fired into the parade from a rooftop position with a rifle. NBC Chicago reported 26 people were also hospitalized in connection with the incident, most of whom had suffered gunshot wounds, while others sustained injuries as a result of the ensuing chaos from crowds of people fleeing the area.

Shortly after the shooting, authorities recovered a firearm, but the suspect remained on the loose for several hours. People sheltered in place for several hours following the incident.

NBC Chicago reported authorities had previously identified Crimo as a possible suspect and Lake County Major Crime Task Force spokesman Christopher Covelli said “he is considered armed and dangerous.”

The Lake County Sheriff’s Office and the Illinois State Police assisted the Highland Park Police Department in their response to the shooting and search for the shooting suspect.

Crimo was taken to the Highland Park Police Department following the arrest.

Following the initial attack on Monday morning, Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker tweeted, “My staff and I are closely monitoring the situation in Highland Park. State police are on the scene and we have made all state resources available to the community. We will continue working with local officials to help those affected.”

On Monday afternoon, President Joe Biden tweeted, “Jill and I are shocked by the senseless gun violence that has yet again brought grief to an American community this Independence Day. As always, we are grateful for the first responders and law enforcement on the scene. I will not give up fighting the epidemic of gun violence.”





Source
Las Vegas News Magazine

Leave A Reply

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More