DOJ reportedly unlikely to reveal any Trump charges until after midterms

0


The Justice Department may choose to sit on any potential criminal charges against former President Donald J. Trump until after the midterm elections, possibly choosing to defuse the already explosive issue in the aftermath of the FBI’s unprecedented storming of Mar-a-Lago last month.

According to a Bloomberg report that cites the usual anonymous sources who are “familiar” with the matter, “prosecutors are likely to wait until after the November election to announce any charges against Donald Trump, if they determine he broke laws.”

“Under long-standing department policy, prosecutors are barred from taking investigative steps or filing charges for the purpose of affecting an election or helping a candidate or party, traditionally 60 days before an election,” the outlet reported. “This year, that would be by Sept. 10, which makes it unlikely anything would be announced until after Nov. 8, said people who asked to remain anonymous speaking about potential Justice Department actions.”

Bloomberg states that the 60-day rule has been ” ignored” in recent years, specifically when disgraced former FBI director James Comey announced that the FBI was reopening a probe into Hillary Clinton’s private email server mere days before the 2016 election, a move that Clinton allies claimed contributed to her crushing loss to Trump.

The report also notes that Attorney General Merrick Garland issued a May memo “stating that the election-year policy applies to the 2022 midterms,” which on the current timeline, gives the DOJ 10 days to announce any charges on Trump prior to the elections.

In more Trump-related election news, CNN is reporting that the ex-POTUS is mulling waiting until after the critical midterms to announce a 2024 White House run, citing more anonymous sources who are “familiar with his thinking,” out of alleged concern for the struggles of his “hand-picked Senate candidates” who could be facing an uphill battle as the GOP seeks to regain control of the upper chamber of Congress.

“Everyone was operating under the assumption that shortly after Labor Day would be the best possible time to launch, but that has changed and he’s being told to deal with the FBI stuff first,” said a Trump adviser quoted by CNN, stating that advisers have told Trump and his team that it would be better to “address the legal fallout from the FBI search first” prior to announcing his intent to mount a third presidential campaign.

“While his timeline could shift again between now and November, the onslaught of political and legal concerns has the former President feeling nervous about prematurely diving into the 2024 primary, according to nine former and current Trump aides and allies who requested anonymity to discuss internal matters,” CNN reported.

“There is a direct tie if Trump becomes a campaign ad in November and Republicans lose the Senate, and the last thing he wants is to be blamed,” a former Trump campaign aide told CNN.

The Bloomberg report capped off a busy 24 hours for the Justice Department which filed a response late Tuesday opposing the appointment of an independent special master, a request from Trump’s legal team that a Florida federal judge has scheduled a Thursday hearing on, and which the agency vehemently objects to on the grounds that the former president “lacks standing” because the documents do not belong to him.

Also released was what appears to be a staged picture of documents on the floor at Mar-a-Lago, an image that was seized on by the anti-Trump media which it used as more propaganda to bolster the DOJ’s credibility while trying Trump in the press.

Trump took to his Truth Social platform to slam the image of the documents, writing, “Terrible the way the FBI, during the Raid of Mar-a-Lago, threw documents haphazardly all over the floor (perhaps pretending it was me that did it!), and then started taking pictures of them for the public to see. Thought they wanted them kept Secret? Lucky I Declassified!”

(Image: Screengrab/Truth Social)

Needless to say, the idea that the DOJ would wait to bring any charges did not sit well with Resistance Twitter.

Ironically, the DOJ may be doing Trump a favor by possibly gifting him with an ideal time to declare.

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE



Source
Las Vegas News Magazine

Leave A Reply

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More